Monday, April 14, 2008

as the world turns

this one's still a secret, because we don't want certain people in our management to know until its ready to be said but ... here's my whisper to the trees in the digital forest ...

congratulations to my colleague, who finally received notice of the approval of her much-awaited tarjeta verde. it took 7 years but i guess that's still a good thing, considering much of what happened to honest people chasing a better life here in the United States since 9/11.

this colleague of mine has been an angel in disguise, having worked with her for the longest time, and being a friend much more than i can expect. i owe her a lot, from getting myself on steady ground when i came over, and to getting my head straight by brokering the idea of settling down given the intricate opportunities provided by the immigration process.

she's had every imaginable blessing showered on her, and she deserves every bit of it. i hope and pray the next one will be a healthy child, as we jokingly keep saying that our work has robbed us both of our youth, and we need the next few years to build our own complete families.

but this momentous event means she can already make the Great Escape ... which will leave this company in the lurch. i mean, hello, i can't take care of everything.

actually, i kind of want to see management's faces when they are faced with the spectre of or her actual leaving. they'll probably think we can still soldier on. pretty soon, when i also take my leave, our clients will be supported by ants or something.




tarjeta verde ... so close, yet so far away.

2 comments:

Jego said...

we jokingly keep saying that our work has robbed us both of our youth

In your case at least, it hasnt robbed you of your immaturity. And let's face it, who would want to lose that? The best times in my life have been when Ive deliberately acted like an idiot. If you ask my kids, that's when they like me the most. :-D

Congratch to the effervescent one.

grifter said...

yeah, you're right, it keeps people mistaking me for 5 years less my true age. being silly endears me to most people too, whether they admit it or not :-P