Friday, January 27, 2006

better late than later

sorry, guys, i was down in the lone star state, helping some computer-challenged people get through the day and avoiding being gunned down during political squabbles that kind of resemble high noon at the OK corral.

let me thank my friends who bothered to get me something last Christmas ... (yes, i know, i didn't get you anything at all ... except for somebody who's probably drooling over the Anne Hathaway DVD right now)

speaking of whom (my friend, not Anne), i got the hardcover sequel to Star Wars:Revenge of the Sith (wait, wouldn't the sequel be A New Hope?) by James Luceno, who, I understand, wrote a few of the missing books on the New Jedi Order series of Star Wars novels that I used to follow.

Should be a blast. Too heavy to carry in the subway though. Don't worry, I'll get through it.


I also got this anthology from Pinoy writers, which is a quantum leap (at least in publishing quality and maturity and depth) from Superkat, Zuma, Darna and Planet Op Di Eyps. I actually managed to read this before I left (I knew I wouldn't have time to do so while on business). My instant favorite is the Pampanga 2004 story by Vincent Simbulan and Ariel Atienza.


I understand that my Torero pal went through great pains (ok, maybe not so great), along with other kind souls, to get this book autographed by the editors, and in the process, managed to hide my identity behind a female colleague. Hey, Mr. Dean Alfar ... it's me! My name isn't Ceres. Hope I can meet you someday. Thanks for the Hancock. You are now part of the list of clickies on the sidebar.

(uh, who are the 2 other signatories on the inside cover?)


At first, I thought it was a greatest hits collection (that probably came out years ago, wouldn't it) ... turns out its a nod to the neo-Gods of Pinoy rock by their contemporaries, ancestors, and fans in between. Paolo Santos????

I guess I can still download the originals from Limewire or some other (yeah, they'll lose about a dollar of royalties from that blatant act of thievery. Shame on me). This will go direct to my iPod. Easier to lug in the subway.


Okay, I hope this will be helpful as its intent.

Life is always a combo of the planned and the unplanned. How we get through it, smiling through and getting to the destination, is the important thing. But little mementos like these are most appreciated - especially from people who are not your family, but are close enough.

(let me also thank my agent, hairdresser, cotourier ...)


Thanks, y'all (ok i still haven't dropped the Texas twang). Will return the favor in one way or another.

2 comments:

Jego said...

Hey, what's wrong with Zuma?? Jim Fernandez is a god in the komiks pantheon. I hope somebody gets in touch with him and resurrects--resurrects? Zuma doesnt die--this character.

grifter said...

Nothing's wrong with Zuma (that a rewrite won't fix). Come to think of it, Leinil Francis Yu or Whilce Portacio should introduce him to the American comic culture. He can be an unkillable scary mofo like Freddy, Michael, and Jason. ZUMA. Rolls off your tongue while you piss in your pants.